Temporary & Permanent Spousal Support
Spousal support, whether it’s temporary or permanent in nature, depends on a whole host of factors that are almost entirely left to the judge’s discretion. The statutes in Nevada that are the typical starting place for an evaluation regarding one spouse’s qualification for an award of any type of spousal support are primarily found in NRS 125.040 – 125.150.
- The financial condition of each spouse.
- The nature and value of the respective property of each spouse.
- The contribution of each spouse to any property held by the spouses pursuant to section 123.030 of the Nevada Revised Statutes.
- The duration of the marriage.
- The income, earning capacity, age and health of each spouse.
- The standard of living during the marriage.
- The career before the marriage of the spouse who would receive the alimony.
- The existence of specialized education or training or the level of marketable skills attained by each spouse during the marriage.
- The contribution of either spouse as homemaker.
- The award of property granted by the court in the divorce, other than child support and alimony, to the spouse who would receive the alimony.
- The physical and mental condition of each party as it relates to the financial condition, health and ability to work of that spouse.
Schedule An Evaluation
Even if you are the spouse without any income of your own, Nevada has strong case law requiring that spouses be able to meet one another on the battlefield of litigation as financial equals. Thus, even if your spouse is in control of the finances, you should schedule a consultation with Attorney John Blackmon to evaluate whether or not you are a good candidate to receive some form of spousal support or alimony.
Many people are entitled to an award of some form of spousal support, but they simply do not realize it and end up being forced to forego the support they so desperately need to sustain a normal life after the end of their marriage. Don’t let that scenario become your story. Schedule a consultation today.